In our commitment to ensure that members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities have access to recovery, prevention, and mental health resources, we have curated a list of recovery and mental health resources specifically for the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
Resources on Addiction & Substance Use Disorder:
- 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Asians/Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders: Provides a window into the state of substance use and mental health issues with the AAPI community.
- Asian-Americans, Addictions, and Barriers to Treatment
- Substance Abuse & Asian American Pacific Islanders
Resources for Mental Health:
- Asian American Mental Health Advocates Changing the Narrative on Mental Illness
- Take the #NoShame pledge: Join SAFE Project’s national movement to combat stigma, because there’s #NoShame in getting help for mental health and addiction.
- Your Journey: Asian American and Pacific Islander (via NAMI)
- South Asian Therapists
Organizations Focused on Addiction & Mental Health in the AAPI Community:
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
- The National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association
- National Asian Pacific American Families Against Substance Abuse (NAPAFASA) is a private, non-profit, 501(c)(3) membership organization dedicated to mental health advocacy through research, efforts at public health and policy reform, and community empowerment.
Project Lotus: Project Lotus advances the movement of Asian-Americans blossoming and addressing mental health stigma, shame, and overall perception and care of mental health.
- Subtle Asian Mental Health: This private Facebook group is intended to be a safe, nonjudgmental space for Asians and those of Asian descent to share thoughts and feelings about anything, especially mental health.
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Resource Guide via Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO)
Statistics and Educational Resources:
- Asian American/Pacific Islander Communities And Mental Health (via Mental Health America)
- Barriers to Substance Use Disorder Treatment for Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders
- Factors Contributing to Substance Misuse Treatment Completion among Native Hawaiians, Other Pacific Islanders, and Asian Americans
- Fighting the Stigma: Mental health among Asian American and Pacific Islanders