The Collegiate Recovery Leadership Academy (CRLA) is an academic year-long fellowship program for students who are passionate about the intersection of collegiate recovery, leadership, and advocacy. Students who are accepted into the CRLA will implement a collegiate recovery focused impact project on their campus, receive advocacy training, attend two in-person events, and be part of a supportive cohort of peers from around the country.
- Student must be enrolled in post-secondary coursework throughout the duration of the 2022/2023 academic year
- Student must be interested in collegiate recovery, leadership, and advocacy.
Benefits of the Leadership Academy include:
- Involvement in shaping the future of collegiate recovery
- Deepen professional and personal development
- Social justice and advocacy training to create sustainable change
- Build relationships with other passionate students
- Two all-expense paid trips to connect with peers and mentors from around the country
Accepted Students Receive:
- All-expense paid trip to attend the SAFE Project Collegiate Recovery Leadership Academy Summit in Washington, DC (November 2022)
- All-expense paid trip to attend the SAFE Project Leadership Retreat (June 2023)
- Support to plan and implement a collegiate recovery focused impact project on campus
- Personalized educational and advocacy training
“Before I started my journey with the CRLA I thought that I was alone in my vision to bring addiction recovery awareness to higher education. This program has shown me that is not the case and that I am in fact surrounded by many others who share my values, hopes, and dreams.”
–Melissa H., Iowa State University
“The CRLA gave me a voice. I felt empowered and accepted. I learned that there is value to my lived experience and that my past is my greatest resource. I was able to connect with other students in recovery and feel like less of an imposter. I learned I was not alone and that, if I had the courage, I could make a difference on my campus, and I did, all because the CRLA supported me every step of the way.”
-Matthew P., Florida Atlantic University
“This was an absolutely incredible program. Not only has this helped to grow our campus program, but I myself have grown. I have gained confidence and been able to connect with people I never would have been able to connect with without this program.”
-Lilinoe K., University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
2020/2021 Leadership Academy HighlightsSAFE Project’s Collegiate Recovery Leadership Academy Empowers Students to Fight the Addiction Epidemic
SAFE CampusesProviding developmental assistance to support the needs of students in recovery and collegiate recovery communities.
Leadership Academy FAQGet answers to your questions about becoming a recovery leader for your campus.
SAFE Project Campus Leader is Selected for National Collegiate Recovery AwardSAFE staff member honored with prestigious Collegiate Recovery Award.