Leadership Academy FAQ
Get answers to your questions about becoming a recovery leader for your campus.
We are no longer accepting applications for our 2021-2022 Leadership Academy cohort, check back soon for updates on our 2022-2023 cohort. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I have to be a student to apply?
- Yes. Any student who is enrolled in postsecondary coursework is welcome to apply.
Do I have to be in substance use or mental health recovery to apply?
- No. Students with lived experience are encouraged to apply, but this is not a requirement. We believe that recovery allies also play a valuable role in the collegiate recovery movement.
Do I have to be a member of a collegiate recovery community or program to apply?
- No! In fact, we encourage students who have no recovery support services on their campuses to apply because this program will give students the tools they need to advocate for change within their campus community and beyond.
What does participation in the Leadership Academy consist of?
- All expense paid trip to the SAFE Project Collegiate Recovery Leadership Summit in Washington, DC (November 2021)
- All expense paid trip to attend a Leadership Retreat in June 2021 (location TBD)
- Support to plan and implement a collegiate recovery focused impact project on campus
- Mentorship from experts in the field
- Peer support
- Personalized educational and advocacy training
What is the Leadership Academy timeline?
|July 1 – September 12||Application open|
|September 20||Applicant notification|
|October 1||Accepted student welcome webinar|
|October 29||Impact Project proposal due|
|November 12 – 14||Collegiate Recovery Leadership Summit in Washington, DC|
|May 29, 2022||Final project summary form due|
|June 2022 (DATE TBD)||SAFE Project Leadership Retreat|
*Ongoing requirements: Monthly webinars and/or check-ins, working group participation, work on chosen impact project
Will I have help deciding what kind of project to implement?
- You will be given a variety of tracks to choose from. We will offer project suggestions and examples of what students have done in the past, but ultimately, we want your project to be something you are passionate about and that is catered to the needs of your campus.
How much time should I expect to commit to the Leadership Academy?
- A majority of the time you spend will be focused on your chosen impact project. Consequently, the amount of time required will reflect the project you choose. In addition to your project you will also be expected to attend the weekend-long Leadership Summit in November (full scholarship provided), participate in monthly webinars and/or working groups, and attend the in-person Leadership Retreat at the conclusion of the program (full scholarship provided). At a minimum, you can plan to spend an average of two hours/week focused on Leadership Academy related activities.
The participation requirements listed above mention something about mentorship. Do I have to have a mentor?
- You will be assigned to a small working group with your peers. This group will be led by a Leadership Academy graduate from last year and a mentor from the field. Students are expected to fully participate in monthly working group meetings, but it is up to the student how much they use the working group leaders and mentors as a resource outside of the mandatory meetings.
What should I expect from the Leadership Summit in November?
- The Leadership Summit is an event designed solely for our Leadership Academy students, working group leaders, and mentors. The Summit will be an opportunity for students to network with other Leadership Academy students, hear from leaders of the recovery movement, and participate in workshops designed to enhance leadership and advocacy skills.
What should I expect from the Leadership Retreat in June?
- The Leadership Retreat is the culmination of nine months of learning, growing, and hard work! This will be a time to celebrate with one another and bond over your shared experience in the Leadership Academy.
What if I can’t make it to the Leadership Summit in November and/or the Leadership Retreat in June?
- We will handle this on a case-by-case basis, but both of these events are integral to your experience as a SAFE Project fellow and we want each of our Leadership Academy students to experience and participate in these events.